constitution = Kapha-Pitta
primary imbalance = Vata (sleep issues, constipation, PTSD/depression/anxiety)
- Establish a workday routine. Stick to it as best you can. When you fall off the wagon, don't worry and don't beat yourself up. The only way to make a new routine feel normal and habitual is to keep coming back to it, no matter how many times you "mess up."
* Wake within 1 hour of the same time each day.
* Start with 3 days/week, do some movement practice before breakfast.
* Enjoy a small breakfast (see below for simple apple recipe).
* Go to work + make sure to eat during your lunch break (more details below).
* Home cooked dinner including plenty of cooked whole veggies.
* Time to wind down with knitting, yoga, your fave show, snuggling your cat, etc.
* Go to bed within 1 hour of the same time each day. No screens 1 hr before bed.
I won't worry too much about non workday routines - let's get you set on weekdays first and then the rest will fall into place more easily once the new routine is habitual.
FOOD TOP 3
- Try to add a piece of fruit to go with your coffee breakfast. Ideally we'd like to get to a point where you're eating a full nutritive breakfast but I'm not too worried about that right now. Ideally for breakfast: peel and chop up an apple, sauté in ghee with cinnamon, cardamom, and a bit of clove. Cooked foods are easier to digest and those spices will help your digestion and appetite.
- Don't mix raw and cooked foods - no smoothies with dinner. If you're craving a smoothie, prep ahead of time and bring into work for your lunch. Opt for a room temp smoothie - add some warm/room temp water to balance the temp of the frozen fruits. Also, don't mix animal dairy and fruits together in your smoothie (hard on digestion). You can mix plant milks with fruit.
- Meal plan for lunch at least 3 days a week. Start with a goal of bringing lunch to work 3 days/week and we will go from there. Focus on whole, fresh, cooked foods (minimize raw foods, but if you are gonna eat raw foods, lunch is the time to do it). Cut out fast food as much as possible.
Something else! When you eat, just eat. Put aside screens and any other distractions. Take time to chill out before you eat - eating rushed or stressed will lead to indigestion.
MOVEMENT TOP 2
- Start a morning yoga practice at least 2 days a week. Check out YogaWorks for classes. Some great classes to start with: Level 1 Slow Flow (22 mins), Warming Up to Yoga (24 mins), Lower Back Sequence (22 mins).
- Get in a 30 minute walk at least 1 day a week.
Try to plan your exercise during 6-10 AM or PM if possible.
SLEEP TOP 3
- Wake up and go to sleep within 1 hour on each workday. Ideally we'll want to extend this to non workdays, too, but let's start here!
- Stop looking at screens 1 hour before bed. Screens can mess with your body's natural production of melatonin and make it hard to fall asleep.
- Try some breath work, meditation, and/or restorative yoga for 2-15 minutes right before you get into bed.
[See herb recommendations below for sleep]
* Belly breath. Lay flat on the floor with knees bent, feet on the floor. Place your hands at your lower belly, right below your belly button. Breathe deeply, smoothly, and slowly in and out from the belly.
* Restorative yoga + meditation classes on YogaWorks: Ease Into Your Evening Flow (13 mins), Yoga Nidra for Sleep (15 mins), Wind Down Meditation (10 mins)
*Hopefully we will be able to get you down to 1 cup of coffee each morning if we can consistently improve your sleep. But let's not worry about the coffee consumption until sleep is better.
*Private sessions with Gabi*
GOAL: set you up for confidence, safety, and longevity in your home practice. Minimize potential for injury and keep your body happy as you ease back into a yoga routine. Your sessions would be more like a workshop format to help you understand and integrate the foundational points of alignment.
RECOMMENDATION: Start with 1-2 sessions to set you up for a successful home practice. After you've got a handle on the fundamentals we can schedule more sessions in the future as needed for "tune ups" or any new questions or concerns.
PACKAGES: a la carte $85/session, OR
- 5 sessions, $400
You have 1 year from the date of your first session to redeem if you buy a package.
HERBS TOP 2
- Triphala is a tridoshic, classical digestive formulation. Each night before bed, take 1/2 tsp of Triphala powder in hot water. Do not combine with dairy unless you want to be running to the bathroom in the morning! This will help with regular BMs and is tridoshic. If this isn't enough then we will either adjust dosage or go to a combo of psyllium husk and licorice - keep me updated on how you do on the Triphala.
- Brahmi + Bala are a great duo for improving sleep for your constitution and imbalance. Take 1/2 tsp of each in hot water 1 hour before bed. You can add melatonin to the mix but I'd say try these herbs by themselves first and see if it's even necessary to take the melatonin.
*with all herbs, stir into hot water and allow to evenly dissolve. Let cool until it is hot but not scalding, then drink completely.