constitution = Vata-Pitta
primary imbalance = Vata (anxiety triggering stomach issues, lack of routine, finicky/unpredictable digestion)
HOME CLEANSE (panchakarma)
I'd like you to go on a monodiet of kitchari (recipe below) for 3 days - same meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Here's the recipe for a day's worth of food. Make a fresh batch for the day each morning. When you need to reheat, do not use your microwave. Instead, use your toaster oven (put a plate in there) or the stovetop (add some ghee and a bit of water to the pan, heat, then add in your portion. Stir around until warm and eat.
1/2 c basmati rice
1 c mung dal (split yellow pea) - soak in water with a pinch of hing overnight
1.5 c veggies: sweet potatoes and spinach
4.5 c water
1/2" ginger root, grated
1/4 tsp good salt (not table salt - rock salt or sea salt is best)
1 Tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
pinch of asafetida (hing)
Carefully pick over rice and dal to remove any stones. Wash each separately in at least 2 changes of water. Add ghee to saucepan on medium-low. Once ghee is warm, add ginger and stir for 1 minute. Add the rice and mung beans and stir to coat in the ghee and ginger. Add salt, all ground spices and fennel seeds. Stir in Add the water, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook covered until it becomes soft, about 20 minutes.
While that is cooking, cut sweet potato into smallish pieces. Add the sweet potato and spinach to the cooked rice and dal mixture and cook 10 minutes longer, or until most of the water is absorbed.
Top with additional salt if desired, and add fresh cilantro to taste. Serve and enjoy!
IMPORTANT ADDITION: Have 1 Tbsp of psyllium husk in hot water in the morning between breakfast and lunch, in the afternoon between lunch and dinner, and after dinner before bed. Kitchari isn't very high in fiber so we need to supplement it to keep your bowels happy.
Once you've done the cleanse, you can follow the food recommendations below.
- Wake up and go to sleep at the same time each day (+/- 1 hour)
- No devices 1 hour before bed
- Eat meals at the same time each day (+/- 1 hour)
- Sit down and eat in a calm, settled atmosphere for every meal
- Get in your daily movement first thing when you wake up to set the tone for your day.
Eat whole, fresh foods that are warm, wet, and grounding. Eat only warm, cooked foods (no sandwiches). Add more veggies - don't forget about veggies with lunch. Try to have lunch be your bigger meal with dinner smaller and preferably liquid (soup).
Increase consumption of warm temp drinks. Think: warm herbal teas like ginger, peppermint, tulsi (holy basil). Remember: you have a Vata constitution with a Vata imbalance in Vata season. Sip warm herbal teas instead of having
Increase use of Vata-appropriate spices! Start experimenting with: cumin, coriander, fresh ginger, and fennel.
Cook with more good oils/fats: ghee, sesame oil.
- No leftovers for now! Eventually we will get you back to being able to eat food up to 24 hours old, but given your acute digestive upset we need to cut this out entirely right now.
- Room temp or cold drinks. You know the drill.
- Smoothies/shakes. I want to cut out the Juice Plus for now and see what we can do with lifestyle changes!
- Beans and cheese together. It's very hard to digest!
- Fruit and dairy together. It will cause/exacerbate stomach upset.
Get at least 15 minutes of movement 4 days a week. Start out with this goal and anything above and beyond is icing on the cake! This is the site I use for my own home practice.
HERBS & SUPPLEMENTS
I want to hold off on herbal recommendations for now to see what kinds of shifts we'll get with lifestyle changes first.
If you're comfortable with it I'd recommend not taking the Juice Plus for now - again, we want to address the root problem rather than just cover up symptoms. You might find you don't need the Juice Plus after this Ayurvedic reset.
Hearty Morning Oatmeal
2 tsp ghee
1/3 c steel cut oats
1 c water
1 apple, peeled and chopped into large pieces
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cloves
handful of walnuts
- Press "saute" on your Instant Pot and set for two minutes. Add ghee, let melt.
- Once saute mode beeps off, add oats and chopped apple. Stir until coated.
- Add all spices. Add water and stir.
- Close Instant Pot and make sure that vent is set to sealed. Press "pressure cook" and set for 10 minutes.
- Once pressure cook mode beeps off, allow to sit and naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the vent to "venting" and allow any remaining pressure to release. Once released, open.
- Add in walnuts and raisins as desired. Mix.