Let me start by saying that I have never been much of a lipstick/gloss/stain wearer. I’ve never been a signature lip kind of person because I usually feel like I’m constantly thinking about whether there’s lipstick on my teeth or if it’s smudged all over my face or worn off after I drank a few glasses of water. To me, lip color was always a high maintenance thing. But all of that changed when I found Clove + Hallow.
Founded in Atlanta, GA by boss babe and professional makeup artist, Sarah Biggers, Clove + Hallow is dedicated to changing the perception that natural products can’t compete with their conventional counterparts. Formulated with a Clean15(TM) formulation strategy, all Clove + Hallow products are made with powerful botanicals, good-enough-to-eat oils and butters, and safe, well-researched synthetic ingredients. All formulas are also vegan and cruelty-free.
Founder & CEO, Sarah Biggers
I also appreciate Sarah’s journey to starting Clove + Hallow. After months of grappling with a debilitating “mystery illness” that left her depressed and bed-ridden with daily panic attacks, her doctors recommended that she overhaul her lifestyle as a last-ditch effort at healing. After cleaning up her diet and finding some symptomatic relief with holistic medicine, she decided to take it to the next level by getting rid of her chemical-laden beauty products. After trying hundreds – yes, hundreds – of clean alternatives to her beloved favorites, she still hadn’t found products with the shade range, pigmentation, and performance that she was used to. More than anything, she hated that she couldn’t recommend any clean products to her diverse clientele because the shade ranges were so limited. So, she dreamt of, and went on to create, a line of safe, beautiful, and affordable cosmetics that worked for women of all skin tones.
Although I haven’t used Clove + Hallow’s foundation products, I absolutely LOVE that she created a line that works for women of all skin colors. You would think that a wide range of foundation and concealer shades would be an obvious choice, but the next time you go into Sephora, check out the “darkest” foundation shades available in the lines that they carry. Spoiler alert: it’s very limited. You’ll also notice that many conventional cosmetics have bronzers and foundation shades called “tan” and “nude” – but if you look at the colors themselves, those labels are focused on fair to medium skinned clientele only. Put simply: Sarah is woke and I appreciate it.
Okay, let’s go a little more into the nitty-gritty of Clove + Hallow and then I’ll share my experience with their ah-may-zing lip products.
- Formulated with a Clean15(TM) formulation strategy, all Clove + Hallow products are made with powerful botanicals, good-enough-to-eat oils and butters, and safe, well-researched synthetic ingredients.
- I wish they had a full Glossary on their website, though they do have a full list of “Never Ever” ingredients (like Bright Body’s No-Go List).
- My only issue with any of their ingredients is sodium benzoate, which is in their Conceal + Correct and their Pressed Mineral Foundation. Sodium benzoate is a preservative with a rating of 3 (moderate hazard) by the Environmental Working Group and has a low concern for non-reproductive organ system toxicity. I’m not super mad at this ingredient because it is still a relatively low number on the EWG scale. Also, their preservative system (sodium benzoate + gluconolactone) is certified by EcoCert.
- Clove + Hallow knocks it out of the freakin’ park on product performance. You read in the origin story that founder Sarah is a professional makeup artist and was laser-focused on creating products that could outperform their conventional counterparts. I can assure you she has achieved that!
- Her Lip Crème (classic lipstick) and Lip Velvet (liquid lipstick) are the most hydrating and longest-lasting lip products that I’ve ever tried. Clove + Hallow makes me actually want to wear lipstick, which for me is a BIG deal.
- All products are richly pigmented and feel really good on.
- There isn’t any clear sustainability mission with Clove + Hallow, though they have thought about it with respect to some of their packaging. Their pressed mineral foundation comes in refill tins for a separately purchased compact.
- All of their ingredients and finished products are vegan and cruelty-free.
- Clove + Hallow is certified by PETA.
- Clove + Hallow has gotten a ton of accolades, especially when you consider that they’ve been in business less than a year! They’ve won a Women’s Health Beauty Award (2017) and an Essence Best in Black Beauty Award (2017).
- They’ve been featured in publications like: Greatist, Refinery29, Jezebel, People Style, Buzzfeed, Atlanta Magazine, Oprah Magazine, Hollywood Reporter, Popsugar, InStyle, and more!
Where It’s Made
- In the USA!
- Because of founder Sarah’s personal experiences with mental illness, 15% of all proceeds of the sale of Lip Crème in Psych will go toward the Georgia chapter of Mental Health of America. These funds will be used for advocacy, outreach and education around the realities of mental illness.
- They are looking to engage in more philanthropic causes as they grow.
Now let’s get into the products that I’ve tried and love:
- Lip Crème (in Psych and Desert Rose)
- These little dudes are freakin’ amazing. It goes on like a classic lipstick but is loaded with natural moisture and lasts really well. Yes, really. Even after eating and drinking, you’ll only need a few small touch-ups to keep it looking fresh all day. It feels like you’re wearing a hydrating lip treatment!
- Prior to finding Clove + Hallow, I’ve found that there are typically two kinds of lipsticks: long-lasting but not hydrating OR hydrating but not long-lasting. Clove + Hallow turned that on its head with the Lip Crème.
- Lip Velvet (in Uptown and Napa)
- For when you want an extra-long lasting look, Lip Velvets are your new go-to. It is a liquid lipstick that dries matte, non-sticky, and smudgeproof. You won’t even leave that lipstick mark on your drinks, really!
- Most liquid lipsticks out there tend to be drying, but not Lip Velvet! Infused with coconut oil, shea butter, and Vitamin E – this is a long-wearing AND nourishing liquid lipstick.
- Pro Tip: Sarah recommends exfoliating your lips before wearing to guarantee the smoothest possible application.
I haven’t yet tried their Lip Glaze, which is a non-sticky lip gloss (no more peeling your hair off your lips on a windy day), but I’ve heard fantastic things about it. It is on my list of things to try next. They also carry a Concealer, Pressed Powder, Makeup Remover, and Candles.
You will NOT be disappointed with Clove + Hallow goodies. They’ve converted this naked lip girl into a lip product lover!
Until next time,